Whether you want to repair the roof or replace it with new ones, planning your roof remodeling is important. You have to do it with the expert not only to ensure the quality of work but also to avoid mistakes. Everything in home improvement actually needs careful planning because this is the key to a successful project. If you are thinking of remodeling your roof, these tips are sure to help you:
- Inspect the roof
It is best if you will let the expert inspect your roof whether it is aged or damaged. Although most roofs can stand different weather for 15 long years depending on quality of materials, it will be an advantage if you have your roof checked out after 5 years and 10 years. Torn flashings or peeled roofs are among the spots to keep an eye for when inspecting the roofs.
- Decide for repair or replace
Replacing some parts or the roof is definitely more affordable than doing any extensive roof repairs. However, repair of roof is the best option and can be within your budget if the roof is not yet worn and aged. Deciding whether to repair or replace is important, which is why it is best to work with the expert.
- Set your budget
Before going for roof remodeling, you have to think of the budget. Depending on the scope of repair or replacing of roof and depending on the materials you want to use for the roof, your budget should be planned only with the expert. Your budget should include materials, labor, and some extra amount to prepare for the unexpected.
- Schedule the roof remodeling
Proper scheduling of roof repair or replacement is an important matter. If you want to repair the roof, the expert recommends that you get it done during the sunny weather or before the rainy season begins. On the other hand, the roofing experts have to do the job as fast as they can and without mistake.
- Find a roof contractor
Make your project easier by finding and hiring a reliable roof contractor. You may consider the DIY method, especially if you know how, but if it seems difficult, tedious, and dangerous for you, hiring one is better. With a roof contractor who has the expertise, you will not only save on time, money, and effort but will also benefit from high quality and accurate job.
- Know how to maintain the roof
Roof maintenance can dramatically reduce repairs that are costly. It will also increase the lifespan or longevity of the roof and prevent damages. There are several tasks for you to do to maintain the roof like clearing the debris away from time to time, removing mosses, and regular monitoring and inspecting the roof.
Roof remodeling project is not only for home improvement but also to increase the value of your house or property. A good looking roof makes the house even more charming. These tips will help you know what you can do if you are planning for roof remodeling.
Wood shingles are unique especially in an area where everybody is installing asphalt roofing. The rustic natural wood shingles are going to add an artistic value to your home which is going to increase its financial value. Nevertheless, before you get all excited about installing a wooden roof there are a few things that you need to understand.
When it comes time for a complete roof replacement, cedar wood is the most popular type of wood used in roofing because it is extremely durable. However, wood doesn’t work for every home or homeowner. Shingles and shakes are a bit different. Shakes are rough and more uneven but they both look great especially in a natural environment. Here are the pros and cons of wood roofs.
Wood has a Lot of Benefits:
- Wood is energy efficient. It is a good insulator and will keep the warmth inside your house during the winter season. It will also reflect the heat during the hot season. This means that it will help you save on the energy bill to keep your house cool.
- Wood is more durable than asphalt. It is going to withstand a harsh hail storm that the asphalt will not endure.
- It is going to increase the aesthetic value of your home. The natural look and feel of wood are exceptional compared to the flat asphalt shingles. It is also going to increase the resale value of your home by making it more favorable for buyers.
- Wood roofing is more durable than asphalt. With proper maintenance, it can last for half a century.
- Wood is an environmentally-friendly option. Wood roofing is made of recyclable materials and will help you decrease your carbon footprint. Less energy is used to manufacture and install wood roofing than other materials like asphalt or metal.
Nevertheless, there are a few drawbacks that you need to consider if you are going to install wood roofing.
Wood has Several Cons:
- Cost is the main issue to consider if you are planning to install wood shingles or shakes. Wood is more expensive than asphalt although it is more durable. Moreover, you need to hire a real expert to install wood roofing.
- Wood roofs require more maintenance. Wood needs to breathe. This means that you should remove leaves, debris and other objects that can prevent the wood from breathing. You should also remove ice and hail before the moisture penetrates through the wood and damage it in the long run.
- Moisture is bad for your wood roof. This is why you need to make sure that you have access to the sun to keep it dry. If your roof can’t get exposed to the sun, it will be subject to the growth of mold and mildew.
Most of these problems can be easily overcome when you hire the right contractor to install your wood roof. An experienced roofer will tell you if the wood is the right choice for your home and will give you an idea about the proper and adequate insulation. Make sure that you do enough research to pick the right man for the job.